1 in 4 Aussies to retire without homes
May 31, 2011 4:32 PM EST
A new white paper by REST Industry Super is calling on individuals, the finance industry, media, government and superannuation funds to change their attitude to superannuation as increasing numbers abandon the “Great Australian Dream” of owning their own home.
The Home Ownership and Superannuation White Paper examines how, with many Australians choosing not to, or unable to enter into home ownership, buying property will no longer be the largest investment they make in their lifetime.
Currently, 15 per cent of Australian retirees do not own their own home. In the next five to 15 years there will be closer to 20 per cent of individuals retiring without owning their own homes, while in 15-25 years time this is likely to have risen to about 25 per cent.
REST Industry Super CEO, Damian Hill said in light of this decline and superannuation increasingly becoming the biggest financial decision a person will make, an attitude shift is required to apply the same level of attention to our retirement nest-eggs as we previously would have to purchasing a property.
“Historically, home ownership rates in Australia have been very high; around 80 per cent by retirement age. However the home ownership rate for those under 35 is less than half this and is in serious decline. In the last financial year alone, the number of first home buyers in Australia declined from 190,000 to just 90,000.
“While some young Australians are consciously deciding not to purchase property, many others want to buy a home but are unable to because of the reduced affordability of housing, especially in the capital cities.
Mr Hill said the problem with this is that so much financial advice and policy has been developed around the assumption that people will own their home when they retire. But while home ownership has long been one of the key pillars of Australia’s retirement income policy, it is certainly showing signs of crumbling.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date