1 in 4 Aussies to retire without homes
May 31, 2011 4:32 PM EST
A new white paper by REST Industry Super is calling on individuals, the finance industry, media, government and superannuation funds to change their attitude to superannuation as increasing numbers abandon the “Great Australian Dream” of owning their own home.
The Home Ownership and Superannuation White Paper examines how, with many Australians choosing not to, or unable to enter into home ownership, buying property will no longer be the largest investment they make in their lifetime.
Currently, 15 per cent of Australian retirees do not own their own home. In the next five to 15 years there will be closer to 20 per cent of individuals retiring without owning their own homes, while in 15-25 years time this is likely to have risen to about 25 per cent.
REST Industry Super CEO, Damian Hill said in light of this decline and superannuation increasingly becoming the biggest financial decision a person will make, an attitude shift is required to apply the same level of attention to our retirement nest-eggs as we previously would have to purchasing a property.
“Historically, home ownership rates in Australia have been very high; around 80 per cent by retirement age. However the home ownership rate for those under 35 is less than half this and is in serious decline. In the last financial year alone, the number of first home buyers in Australia declined from 190,000 to just 90,000.
“While some young Australians are consciously deciding not to purchase property, many others want to buy a home but are unable to because of the reduced affordability of housing, especially in the capital cities.
Mr Hill said the problem with this is that so much financial advice and policy has been developed around the assumption that people will own their home when they retire. But while home ownership has long been one of the key pillars of Australia’s retirement income policy, it is certainly showing signs of crumbling.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time