NPC condemns subpoena for reporter in leak case
By Alyangka Francheska | May 27, 2011 12:25 PM EST
The National Press Club criticized Thursday a decision by the Justice Department to subpoena a New York Times reporter to testify in a criminal trial about who leaked him information for a book he wrote.
Federal prosecutors issued the subpoena May 23 with the support of Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. The subpoena orders the reporter, James Risen, to testify in the case of Jeffrey Sterling, a former CIA employee accused of leaking to Risen material for a book he wrote about the CIA.
"Reporters should not be forced to reveal confidential sources or be compelled to testify in cases involving people who are charged with leaking information to them," said Mark Hamrick of the Associated Press, president of the National Press Club. "This sort of intimidation of a free press is unacceptable."
The Obama administration has decided to prosecute five alleged leakers, including Sterling. According to the New York Times, that is more than all previous presidents combined, though some of the cases were begun under the Bush administration.
The National Press Club, along with other media organizations, has supported legislation that would establish a national shield law that would protect reporters from efforts to force disclosure of confidential sources, except in limited circumstances.
About the National Press Club
The National Press Club is the world's leading professional organization for journalists with more than 3,400 members worldwide representing every major news organization. More than 250,000 people visit the Club each year to attend more than 2,000 events. The Club was founded in 1908 and is on the web at press.org.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install