PIMCO Takes An Active Short On US Debt
May 12, 2011 9:37 AM EST
(eToro Blog) Earlier this year, Bill Gross, the co-chief investment officer and founder of Pimco, one of the world's largest bond funds, reported that they were getting out of the U.S. Treasuries market. He voiced concern that, not only were U.S. instruments over-valued, but that the government's fiscal situation would worsen. It appears that Bill Gross is now even more bearish on U.S. debt, as it was recently reported that Pimco's Total Return Fund was increasing its short bet to 4% from 3%.
Yesterday, S&P reported that they were downgrading the long-term outlook on U.S. debt from stable to negative.
S&P also warned that there's a 1 in 3 chance that the U.S. will have their credit rating downgraded to AA from the current AAA within the next two years. To that end, they're giving the U.S. government until 2013 to put its fiscal house in order.
A recently televised media report with Mohamed El-Erian, Pimco's chief executive officer, says the likelihood of a downgrade is even higher, with Pimco's analysts giving it a 1 in 2 chance. According to him, the U.S. government must move quickly to get a consensus on medium term fiscal and budget reform. Failure to do so will, of course, be bad for the United States, but he worries that the cascading global repercussions could be far worse. He notes that time is of the essence, because the U.S. government hasn't even accomplished the first step toward reform, and that's the formulation of a credible action plan.
Investor concern over weakness in the U.S. Dollar today is being usurped by growing Eurozone worries which have pushed the common currency lower. On the eToro trading floor, among traders of EUR/USD, recently lower at 1.4226, sentiment is bullish in favor of buying by a ratio of 7 buyers to 2 sellers. The Pound Sterling is currently lower as well trading at 1.6376, hit by lower growth expectations; among traders of GBP/USD, selling sentiment reigns by a 7 to 3 ratio.
Copyright 2011 eToro Blog
Join the Conversation
- While Asian Property Markets Are Cooling, 92% Of Philippine Real Estate Agents & Brokers Are Positive About Next 12 Months
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday November 28, 2014
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones