PIMCO Takes An Active Short On US Debt
May 12, 2011 9:37 AM EST
(eToro Blog) Earlier this year, Bill Gross, the co-chief investment officer and founder of Pimco, one of the world's largest bond funds, reported that they were getting out of the U.S. Treasuries market. He voiced concern that, not only were U.S. instruments over-valued, but that the government's fiscal situation would worsen. It appears that Bill Gross is now even more bearish on U.S. debt, as it was recently reported that Pimco's Total Return Fund was increasing its short bet to 4% from 3%.
Yesterday, S&P reported that they were downgrading the long-term outlook on U.S. debt from stable to negative.
S&P also warned that there's a 1 in 3 chance that the U.S. will have their credit rating downgraded to AA from the current AAA within the next two years. To that end, they're giving the U.S. government until 2013 to put its fiscal house in order.
A recently televised media report with Mohamed El-Erian, Pimco's chief executive officer, says the likelihood of a downgrade is even higher, with Pimco's analysts giving it a 1 in 2 chance. According to him, the U.S. government must move quickly to get a consensus on medium term fiscal and budget reform. Failure to do so will, of course, be bad for the United States, but he worries that the cascading global repercussions could be far worse. He notes that time is of the essence, because the U.S. government hasn't even accomplished the first step toward reform, and that's the formulation of a credible action plan.
Investor concern over weakness in the U.S. Dollar today is being usurped by growing Eurozone worries which have pushed the common currency lower. On the eToro trading floor, among traders of EUR/USD, recently lower at 1.4226, sentiment is bullish in favor of buying by a ratio of 7 buyers to 2 sellers. The Pound Sterling is currently lower as well trading at 1.6376, hit by lower growth expectations; among traders of GBP/USD, selling sentiment reigns by a 7 to 3 ratio.
Copyright 2011 eToro Blog
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools