Sarkozy invites Web leaders to G8, wants more tax
April 28, 2011 9:42 AM EST
French President Nicolas Sarkozy said Wednesday he would invite Internet business leaders to an end-May G8 summit to discuss regulation of the Web and he called for more scope for governments to tax Internet firms.
Regulation of the Internet is one of the main topics of a May 26-27 meeting of G8 leaders to be held in the coastal resort of Deauville in northern France, which will also discuss economic aid to North African countries in the wake of this year's political upheavals.
"Ahead of the Deauville summit, on May 24-25, we will gather in Paris eminent representatives of the world of the Internet, who will participate in a G8 Forum to aid the discussions by heads of state and government," Sarkozy said, adding he would ask some of the business leaders to attend the summit itself.
Sarkozy's government signed an official decree Wednesday creating the National Digital Council (CNN), composed of 18 members, to advise the French government on Internet issues.
Launching the new body, Sarkozy said he wanted to discuss the issue of "digital taxation" of major Internet companies, like Google.
Sarkozy said it was not normal that Internet companies conducted massive business in countries like France -- where the state helped to finance telecoms infrastructure -- but relocated "all of their taxation with the sole aim of maximizing tax efficiency."
"Between that and a level of taxation which would penalize the creation of new Internet companies...between nothing and excess, can we not find a compromise?" Sarkozy asked.
(Reporting by Emmanuel Jarry; Editing by Jon Loades-Carter)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]