ETFs For The End Of QE2
By ETF Professor | April 28, 2011 5:34 AM EST
Tick tock. Just minutes from now, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke could very well tell the world that the Fed will not extend its oft-criticized quantitative easing program.
Sure, QE2 has been a major catalyst for lifting ETFs, commodities and stocks higher in recent months, but the silver lining with the potential end of the asset buying program is this: Maybe the economy and equity markets are finally on firm enough footing to function (and move higher) on their own merits.
Of course there will be detractors that say the end of QE2 is bad news for stocks, so playing this news means a mix of conservative picks along with some high-beta fare might be the best approach. So here are some ETFs for the end of QE2.
Global X Copper Miners ETF (NYSE: COPX):The Dr. Copper bit gets tired after a while, but if copper is the economic harbinger that so many believe, should it not benefit from an improving economy? Weakness in copper ahead of Bernanke's comments may have been a buying opportunity in COPX.
Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF (NYSE: VIG):Consider this a “give me shelter” play. If stocks react negatively to Bernanke's comments, wait for the dust to settle, and then start establishing a position in this conservative, low-cost ETF.
ETFS Physical Swiss Gold Shares (NYSE: SGOL):Strictly opinion here, but is the end of QE2 really bad for gold? If investors like what they hear, commodities still get bid up. If they become concerned, they run to a safe haven. Enter gold.
iShares Dow Jones US Pharmaceuticals Index Fund (NYSE: IHE):Nirvana for conservative investors is the land of pharma. The biggest risk here isn't what Bernanke says or doesn't say. It's the fact that IHE's chart has moved in straight-line fashion in recent weeks. The good news is pharma is not be beholden to the whims of the Fed, at least it shouldn't be. An ideal buy on a dip candidate.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'