U.S. judge sides with Oracle over patent language
April 28, 2011 5:14 AM EST
Claim construction orders define the scope of a party's patent rights, and thus can often shape the course of the litigation.
Oracle sued Google last year, claiming the Web search company's Android mobile operating technology infringes on Oracle's Java patents. Oracle bought the Java programing language through its acquisition of Sun Microsystems in January 2010.
Some see the lawsuit as a sign of a growing business rivalry between the two companies.
The claim construction order released on Wednesday by U.S. District Judge William Alsup construes terms in three of the seven patents in the case.
Out of five technical terms at issue, Alsup opted for Oracle's interpretation of four. The judge wrote his own construction for another one.
An Oracle spokeswoman declined to comment, and Google representatives did not respond to a request for comment.
Alsup gave both sides until May 6 to submit a critique of his tentative decision.
(Reporting by Dan Levine, editing by Gerald E. McCormick)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports