U.S. judge sides with Oracle over patent language
April 28, 2011 5:14 AM EST
Claim construction orders define the scope of a party's patent rights, and thus can often shape the course of the litigation.
Oracle sued Google last year, claiming the Web search company's Android mobile operating technology infringes on Oracle's Java patents. Oracle bought the Java programing language through its acquisition of Sun Microsystems in January 2010.
Some see the lawsuit as a sign of a growing business rivalry between the two companies.
The claim construction order released on Wednesday by U.S. District Judge William Alsup construes terms in three of the seven patents in the case.
Out of five technical terms at issue, Alsup opted for Oracle's interpretation of four. The judge wrote his own construction for another one.
An Oracle spokeswoman declined to comment, and Google representatives did not respond to a request for comment.
Alsup gave both sides until May 6 to submit a critique of his tentative decision.
(Reporting by Dan Levine, editing by Gerald E. McCormick)
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes