4 Mobile Apps to Trim Your Gas Bills
April 28, 2011 3:48 AM EST
With rising gas prices, you may find the cost to fuel a car increasingly hurting your pocketbook. But you can use your smartphone to find savings via free mobile apps that let you do everything from comparing gas prices at local gas stations to anticipating traffic jams and how to keep your car operating at peak performance.
Avoid waiting in gas-guzzling traffic jams, you can use this app to map routes for your multiple stops that doesn't waste gas. The app will provide directions based on the shortest distance or also provide options to see alternative routes that avoid highways or even toll roads.
This mobile app will help analyze your fuel economy by you just plugging in a few numbers at each gas station, e.g. odometer reading, number of gallons pumped, and the price per gallon. When it detects your fuel economy lessening, it'll give you possible maintenance tips that may be affecting your gas mileage, such as checking the car's tire pressure. Also, on the app, you can note whether you're using highways or local roads for your travels to see how the choice can affect your gas mileage.
*iPhone (Droid app expected to be available by mid-May)
Scan local gas prices and then sort results by distance. The app tracks more than 130,000 gas stations, helping you find the best deal.
*Droid, iPhone, Windows
The user-generated app relies on its 5 million users to post gas prices in the area and includes a time-stamp so you know how up-to-date the price is. GasBuddy also does a raffle each week for a $250 prepaid card for a gas station.
Source: “6 Apps Make it Easier to Find Lowest Gas Prices,” The Associated Press (April 25, 2011)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles