Australia's high inflation may trigger interest rate hikes
By C.J. Perrin | April 28, 2011 1:04 AM EST
The higher-than-expected inflation rates in Australia gives the central bank more reason to increase interest rates, analysts said.
The upward trend taken by consumer prices is most evident in food and petrol prices, according to the latest government data published by the Australian Bureau of Statistics today.
The rise in Australia's consumer prices also had an impact on the value of the Aussie dollar against the US greenback.
The Australian dollar strengthened to a record after a government report showed consumer prices increased by the most in five years, giving the central bank more reason to raise benchmark rates.
The Australian dollar climbed to $1.0833 as of 4:03 p.m. in Sydney from $1.0785 in New York yesterday, after rising to $1.0852, the strongest since it was freely floated in 1983. New Zealand's dollar traded at 80.59 U.S. cents from 80.57 cents, after reaching 81.08, the highest since March 2008. The currency appreciated 0.2 percent to 65.83 yen.
Australian consumer prices jumped in the first quarter as the country coped with the lingering impact of the summer's floods pushed up food costs and petroleum prices went up with the extent of the Middle East unrest.
Among Australia's capital cities, the highest recorded consumer prices had been in Melbourne.
The country's consumer price index rose 1.6 percent in the March quarter - its largest quarterly jump in almost five years.
From a year earlier, Australia's inflation rate was 3.3 percent higher, the Australian Bureau of Statistics reported. The results also beat analysts' forecasts of 3 percent for the period.
More from IBT Markets:
Newsletter: To receive Global Markets update, sign up here
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June