Champions League Semifinal - Poor Schalke outclassed by Manchester United
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | April 27, 2011 6:47 AM EST
Manchester United had the easiest Champions League semifinal against Schalke 04 as the English leaders won 2-0 at the Veltins-Arena and will take the lead into the second leg at Old Trafford next week.
How the first half ended goalless was anyones guess. United had a flurry of chances and should have scored at least two, with Hernandez, Giggs, Fabio, Rooney all coming close. If it wasn't for the brilliant Manuel Neuer, who came up with some excellent saves, United would have had the tie wrapped up in the first half.
The second half came and within minutes into it, the pattern continued as Evra was denied by Neuer. As the hour mark passed, Schalke would have been hoping for a miracle goalless draw. However, in the 67th minute, United finally broke through when Rooney slipped the ball behind the Schalke rearguard perfectly into Giggs' path for the Welshman to finish between the legs of Neuer.
Less than a minute later, Rooney made it two when Hernandez slipped Rooney through and he finish with aplomb.
United will be delighted with the two away goals as it has them with a foot firmly in the final. And if Schalke doesn't improve on their performance in the second leg, it could be another thoroughly one-sided affair and an easy ticket to the final for Manchester United, where they'll face either Real Madrid or Barcelona.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers