Champions League Semifinal - Poor Schalke outclassed by Manchester United
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | April 27, 2011 6:47 AM EST
Manchester United had the easiest Champions League semifinal against Schalke 04 as the English leaders won 2-0 at the Veltins-Arena and will take the lead into the second leg at Old Trafford next week.
How the first half ended goalless was anyones guess. United had a flurry of chances and should have scored at least two, with Hernandez, Giggs, Fabio, Rooney all coming close. If it wasn't for the brilliant Manuel Neuer, who came up with some excellent saves, United would have had the tie wrapped up in the first half.
The second half came and within minutes into it, the pattern continued as Evra was denied by Neuer. As the hour mark passed, Schalke would have been hoping for a miracle goalless draw. However, in the 67th minute, United finally broke through when Rooney slipped the ball behind the Schalke rearguard perfectly into Giggs' path for the Welshman to finish between the legs of Neuer.
Less than a minute later, Rooney made it two when Hernandez slipped Rooney through and he finish with aplomb.
United will be delighted with the two away goals as it has them with a foot firmly in the final. And if Schalke doesn't improve on their performance in the second leg, it could be another thoroughly one-sided affair and an easy ticket to the final for Manchester United, where they'll face either Real Madrid or Barcelona.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia