Larry Ellison's latest job: jury foreman
By Dan Levine | April 27, 2011 5:00 AM EST
Larry Ellison is famous for wanting to be in charge, so perhaps it is no surprise that when jury duty came calling, Oracle's
And for a woman who slipped in diesel fuel at a Northern California Ford dealership, Ellison's public service may have helped her secure a judgment for nearly $500,000.
In running Oracle, the world's number one business database provider, Ellison has proven a willing plaintiff. Oracle sued SAP AG
Oracle is also engaged in a high profile fight against Google
But it was a far less complex legal matter that took Ellison's time last month, landing him in the jury box during earnings season. The flamboyant billionaire sat through a slip-and-fall case brought by Elisa Miramontes and her husband against a dealership in Half Moon Bay, California.
Miramontes said she exited her vehicle and slipped on diesel fuel on the pavement, suffering injuries, according to her lawsuit.
After a few days of trial in a state court in San Mateo County, the jury awarded $300,000 for medical damages, plus additional economic loss and pain and suffering awards, according to a court clerk. The total judgment for the Miramontes couple, formally entered last week, came to just over $472,000.
An attorney representing the defendant declined to discuss the case on Tuesday, and an attorney for the Miramontes couple did not respond to messages.
As for Ellison's thoughts on seeing the legal system from a different vantage point? He declined to comment through an Oracle spokeswoman.
The case in Superior Court for the State of California, County of San Mateo is Elisa Miramontes, Donald Miramontes v. James Ford Inc., CIV 490631.
(Reporting by Dan Levine; Editing by Tim Dobbyn)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions