3 Red Flags for Buyer Contracts
April 27, 2011 3:28 AM EST
Writing a home purchase contract is crucial. Otherwise, it can easily derail a deal.
Here are some common contract mistakes:
1. Buyers don’t secure financing by deadline.
Many contracts are contingent upon the buyer securing financing by a particular date. However, in today’s tight lending environment, you’ll want to ensure you allow extra time for buyers to get mortgage approval. Otherwise, sellers may terminate the contract altogether and even keep the earnest money deposit if a buyer doesn't meet the deadline in getting financing.
Be realistic about your closing date and don’t try to close too quickly, Patti Lawton, a broker with Welcome Home Realty in Brunswick, Maine, told Bankrate.com. "There are a lot of things that need to be done properly, and you must give lenders, title companies, and others time," Lawton says.
2. Not being clear on what stays with the house.
Clearly state in the contract what stays with the home. You don't want buyers to walk into their new home after closing to unexpectedly find the chandeliers missing.
3. Missing signatures.
"Sometimes the home is owned by both spouses, other owners or an entity such as corporation," says lawyer Jeff Marks, a partner with Ryan and Marks Attorneys LLP in Jacksonville, Fla. "Make sure all of the parties sign the contract. If a party to the transaction fails to sign, they're not bound to perform the contract."
Source: “Write Home-Purchase Contract Clearly,” Bankrate.com (April 2011)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Lamudi’s Top 5 Tourist Close-To-Nature Destinations In The Philippines
- 3 Key Changes The Real Estate Industry Is Expecting With ASEAN Integration In 2015
- $2B Lease By American Investor On Philippine Island For 25 Years
- Australia Second Highest Overpriced in World in Housing Prices
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM