3 Red Flags for Buyer Contracts
April 27, 2011 3:28 AM EST
Writing a home purchase contract is crucial. Otherwise, it can easily derail a deal.
Here are some common contract mistakes:
1. Buyers don’t secure financing by deadline.
Many contracts are contingent upon the buyer securing financing by a particular date. However, in today’s tight lending environment, you’ll want to ensure you allow extra time for buyers to get mortgage approval. Otherwise, sellers may terminate the contract altogether and even keep the earnest money deposit if a buyer doesn't meet the deadline in getting financing.
Be realistic about your closing date and don’t try to close too quickly, Patti Lawton, a broker with Welcome Home Realty in Brunswick, Maine, told Bankrate.com. "There are a lot of things that need to be done properly, and you must give lenders, title companies, and others time," Lawton says.
2. Not being clear on what stays with the house.
Clearly state in the contract what stays with the home. You don't want buyers to walk into their new home after closing to unexpectedly find the chandeliers missing.
3. Missing signatures.
"Sometimes the home is owned by both spouses, other owners or an entity such as corporation," says lawyer Jeff Marks, a partner with Ryan and Marks Attorneys LLP in Jacksonville, Fla. "Make sure all of the parties sign the contract. If a party to the transaction fails to sign, they're not bound to perform the contract."
Source: “Write Home-Purchase Contract Clearly,” Bankrate.com (April 2011)
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia Second Highest Overpriced in World in Housing Prices
- France, Germany Lead Europe's Commercial Real Estate Market
- New Crowdfunding Firm Focuses on Alternative Mortgage Financing
- Real Estate Investing Is ‘All Local,’ Says Canadian Portfolio Manager
- New People-Centric Ad Campaign Reminds Industry To Sell The Idea Of ‘Homeownership’
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best