3 Red Flags for Buyer Contracts
April 27, 2011 3:28 AM EST
Writing a home purchase contract is crucial. Otherwise, it can easily derail a deal.
Here are some common contract mistakes:
1. Buyers don’t secure financing by deadline.
Many contracts are contingent upon the buyer securing financing by a particular date. However, in today’s tight lending environment, you’ll want to ensure you allow extra time for buyers to get mortgage approval. Otherwise, sellers may terminate the contract altogether and even keep the earnest money deposit if a buyer doesn't meet the deadline in getting financing.
Be realistic about your closing date and don’t try to close too quickly, Patti Lawton, a broker with Welcome Home Realty in Brunswick, Maine, told Bankrate.com. "There are a lot of things that need to be done properly, and you must give lenders, title companies, and others time," Lawton says.
2. Not being clear on what stays with the house.
Clearly state in the contract what stays with the home. You don't want buyers to walk into their new home after closing to unexpectedly find the chandeliers missing.
3. Missing signatures.
"Sometimes the home is owned by both spouses, other owners or an entity such as corporation," says lawyer Jeff Marks, a partner with Ryan and Marks Attorneys LLP in Jacksonville, Fla. "Make sure all of the parties sign the contract. If a party to the transaction fails to sign, they're not bound to perform the contract."
Source: “Write Home-Purchase Contract Clearly,” Bankrate.com (April 2011)
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Lauren Bacalls' Dakota House Up For Sale
- London Real Estate: Foreign Governments Making A Beeline With China, Qatar and Kuwait Ahead In Race
- Canadian House Owners Preferring To Live In Core City Than In Suburbs: Study
- Jennifer Lawrence Buys A New Bachelorette Pad In Beverly Hills
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James