Sony to take on Apple with launch of first tablet PCs
By Isabel Reynolds | April 26, 2011 2:49 PM EST
The new gadgets will use an operating system based on Android 3.0, Kunimasa Suzuki, deputy president of the consumer products and services group, told reporters in Tokyo on Tuesday.
One of the models will have two screens, he added.
Suzuki raised eyebrows in January when he told reporters at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January that Sony was aiming for the No.2 spot in the tablet market behind Apple within a year, even though it had yet to put a product on the market.
The company has emphasized the need to differentiate its tablet from rivals, even if that takes time.
Sales of tablet devices are expected to quadruple to about 294 million units between 2011 and 2015, with almost half that made up by Android-based, according to research firm Gartner.
In a bid to tap that burgeoning demand, competitors including Samsung Electronics -- whose Galaxy Tab has emerged as Apple's strongest competitor in the tablet market -- and Motorola, LG Electronics and HTC are flooding the market with tablets running Google's Android software.
Shares in Sony, which unveils its quarterly results on May 26, fell 2.1 on Tuesday.
(Editing by Edwina Gibbs and Anshuman Daga)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone