China raises capital requirement for top five banks: report
April 26, 2011 2:14 PM EST
China has increased capital requirements for its five biggest banks above the minimum 11.5 percent mark to guard against risks in the banking sector, Bloomberg reported on Tuesday.
Citing three sources with knowledge of the matter, Bloomberg said Industrial & Commercial Bank of China <601398.SS> <1398.HK>, the world's biggest bank by stock market value, was told last month to have a capital adequacy ratio of at least 11.8 percent.
Three other rivals of Industrial & Commercial Bank of China were told the same, with Agricultural Bank of China <601288.SS> <1288.HK> as the exception -- it was told to have a ratio of 11.7 percent.
The three other top Chinese banks are China Construction Bank <601939.SS> <0939.HK>, Bank of China <601988.SS> <601988.SS><3988.HK>, and Bank of Communications Co Ltd <3328.HK> <601328.SS>.
An official in the press office at the China Banking Regulatory Commission, contacted by Reuters on Tuesday, denied that capital adequacy ratios had been raised for the banks.
A document obtained by Reuters in February showed China's banking regulator could raise the capital adequacy ratio for banks to as high as 14 percent.
A 14-percent level would be 250 basis points above the minimum 11.5 percent mark, and would be implemented as an additional counter-cyclical requirement if the regulator thinks credit growth is abnormally strong.
(Reporting by Koh Gui Qing; Editing by Ken Wills)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase