China raises capital requirement for top five banks: report
April 26, 2011 2:14 PM EST
China has increased capital requirements for its five biggest banks above the minimum 11.5 percent mark to guard against risks in the banking sector, Bloomberg reported on Tuesday.
Citing three sources with knowledge of the matter, Bloomberg said Industrial & Commercial Bank of China <601398.SS> <1398.HK>, the world's biggest bank by stock market value, was told last month to have a capital adequacy ratio of at least 11.8 percent.
Three other rivals of Industrial & Commercial Bank of China were told the same, with Agricultural Bank of China <601288.SS> <1288.HK> as the exception -- it was told to have a ratio of 11.7 percent.
The three other top Chinese banks are China Construction Bank <601939.SS> <0939.HK>, Bank of China <601988.SS> <601988.SS><3988.HK>, and Bank of Communications Co Ltd <3328.HK> <601328.SS>.
An official in the press office at the China Banking Regulatory Commission, contacted by Reuters on Tuesday, denied that capital adequacy ratios had been raised for the banks.
A document obtained by Reuters in February showed China's banking regulator could raise the capital adequacy ratio for banks to as high as 14 percent.
A 14-percent level would be 250 basis points above the minimum 11.5 percent mark, and would be implemented as an additional counter-cyclical requirement if the regulator thinks credit growth is abnormally strong.
(Reporting by Koh Gui Qing; Editing by Ken Wills)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’