China raises capital requirement for top five banks: report
April 26, 2011 2:14 PM EST
China has increased capital requirements for its five biggest banks above the minimum 11.5 percent mark to guard against risks in the banking sector, Bloomberg reported on Tuesday.
Citing three sources with knowledge of the matter, Bloomberg said Industrial & Commercial Bank of China <601398.SS> <1398.HK>, the world's biggest bank by stock market value, was told last month to have a capital adequacy ratio of at least 11.8 percent.
Three other rivals of Industrial & Commercial Bank of China were told the same, with Agricultural Bank of China <601288.SS> <1288.HK> as the exception -- it was told to have a ratio of 11.7 percent.
The three other top Chinese banks are China Construction Bank <601939.SS> <0939.HK>, Bank of China <601988.SS> <601988.SS><3988.HK>, and Bank of Communications Co Ltd <3328.HK> <601328.SS>.
An official in the press office at the China Banking Regulatory Commission, contacted by Reuters on Tuesday, denied that capital adequacy ratios had been raised for the banks.
A document obtained by Reuters in February showed China's banking regulator could raise the capital adequacy ratio for banks to as high as 14 percent.
A 14-percent level would be 250 basis points above the minimum 11.5 percent mark, and would be implemented as an additional counter-cyclical requirement if the regulator thinks credit growth is abnormally strong.
(Reporting by Koh Gui Qing; Editing by Ken Wills)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected