Rehabbed REOs Sell Faster, Study Finds
April 23, 2011 3:39 AM EST
Banks who spend the extra cash to rehab a foreclosed or REO property stand to sell the property much faster than a non-rehabbed REO, according to a new study by Field Asset Services Inc., a property preservation and REO asset management company.
For the last two years, the company has analyzed the number of days on market for remodeled foreclosure or REO properties versus those that are not remodeled.
In reviewing 17,252 properties across 13 states, researchers found that the average days on the market for REO properties that were not rehabbed was 222.8 days. On the other hand, properties that were rehabbed sold, on average, in 69.8 days.
"When a home looks better, it sells faster," Javier Zuluaga, director of sales and marketing for Home Repairs and Remodeling (HR&R) LLC in Tempe, Ariz., told Inman News.
However, the rapid number of foreclosures may be making it difficult for banks to keep up with the pace to do fix ups, which once were more prevalent, says Zuluaga. “Sometime around 2009, the banks simply said, 'We are not going to put all this money into it. We are just going to get the properties cleaned up and if it is missing cabinets, it is missing cabinets--that's just the way it is.'"
But Dale McPherson, president of Field Asset Services, says that based on the study results banks might want to reconsider. “In a market such as Phoenix, where there is an immense amount of foreclosed homes, you might see five or six REO properties on the same street,” McPherson says. “If you want to compete, you need to have the best-looking house on the block."
Source: “Rehabbed REOs Spend Less Time on Market,” Inman News (April 22, 2011)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- New Zealand Minister Announces Web Site for Scrapping Outdated Rules
- Ellen DeGeneres Earns $15M Profit in $55M LA Mansion Sales to Sean Parker
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date