3 hurt as kindergarten bring gun to school in Texas
By Alyangka Francheska | April 20, 2011 11:46 AM EST
Three schoolchildren were hurt when a kindergarten boy brought a loaded gun to his Houston elementary school children, officials said.
Reports said that the loaded gun fell from the boy's pocket while he sat down for lunch which accidentally started firing bullets at the Ross Elementary School cafeteria. Some of the bullet fragments hit the students, Houston Independent School District Assistant Police Chief Robert Mock.said.
"It dropped on the floor, under the table. It was loud, it was so loud," 6-year-old Kennedi Glapion said as she was being picked up from the school by her grandmother.
At least 42 kindergartens were having launch in the cafeteria when the incident happened. Kennedi said she was scared and started crying when she heard the loud gun shots.
Two 6-year-old boys were injured because of the incident, including the boy who brought the gun who was hurt in his foot, while the other boy sustained a bullet graze in his leg.
Sam Sarabia, the elementary school officer for the Houston school district added that a 5-year-old girl was also injured in her knee.
Sarabia added that a bullet might have injured the boy who had the gun while the other boy and the girl might have been hit by shrapnel.
Dr. David deLemos at the Texas Children's Hospital declared all the three children in stable condition and described them to be in good spirits.
The injured girl was identified by the police as Za'Keyah Thomas, and one of the injured boys as Khoran Brown, who was released from the hospital later Tuesday. The name of the boy who brought the gun was being held by investigators.
Houston police spokesman Victor Senties said the police is still investigating the incident and refused to divulge if charges will be filed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff