2011 Pulitzer Prize Winners: Breaking News Photography [PHOTOS]
April 20, 2011 7:39 AM EST
Pulitzer Prize winners for 2011 have been released. Carol Guzy, Nikki Kahn and Ricky Carioti of the Washington Post won the Breaking News Photography prize.
Carol Guzy, Nikki Kahn and Ricky Carioti of the Washington Post were awarwed the prize for their up-close portrait of grief and desperation after a catastrophic earthquake struck Haiti.
The Pulitzer Prize is a U.S. award for achievements in newspaper and online journalism, literature and musical composition. It was established by Hungarian-American publisher Joseph Pulitzer and is administered by Columbia University in New York City. According to the administrators of the Pulitzer Prize the correct pronunciation of the name should sound like the verb pull, as in "Pull it, sir".
Prizes are awarded yearly in twenty-one categories. In twenty of these, each winner receives a certificate and a US$10,000 cash award. The winner in the public service category of the journalism competition is awarded a gold medal, which always goes to a newspaper, although an individual may be named in the citation.
Click Slideshow upper right to start.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- New Zealand Medicine Products Sector To Get Own Regulator::Drops Plan For A Joint Regulator With Australia
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills