Goldman Sachs commodities risk up 60 percent in Q1
April 20, 2011 6:28 AM EST
Goldman Sachs Inc, the largest U.S. investment bank, raised its commodities trading risk by 60 percent in the first quarter amid a rally in oil, metals and grains markets.
Goldman's value-at risk (VaR) for commodities averaged $37 million in the three months to March 31, versus $23 million in the previous quarter.
But it was lower compared to the $49 million in the first quarter of 2010, financial results released on Tuesday showed.
VaR is an industry measure for how much of a bank's money is at risk on a day for trading a particular asset class.
Profit at Goldman dropped 72 percent in the first quarter as it made less money from trading bonds for clients.
But net revenues from commodities traded on behalf of clients were "solid and ... higher compared with the same prior year period", the bank said in a statement.
Goldman's commodities VaR for the first quarter was also markedly higher than that assumed by key rival and No. 2 U.S. bank JPMorgan Chase
JPMorgan, which declared "strong performance" from commodities during the quarter, averaged $13 million per million per day in VaR for the asset class compared with $14 million in the fourth quarter of 2010.
Commodities VaR at Goldman Sachs versus other leading U.S. banks since the start of 2009 (in $ millions):
(Reporting by Barani Krishnan; Editing by John Picinich)
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best