Goldman Sachs commodities risk up 60 percent in Q1
April 20, 2011 6:28 AM EST
Goldman Sachs Inc, the largest U.S. investment bank, raised its commodities trading risk by 60 percent in the first quarter amid a rally in oil, metals and grains markets.
Goldman's value-at risk (VaR) for commodities averaged $37 million in the three months to March 31, versus $23 million in the previous quarter.
But it was lower compared to the $49 million in the first quarter of 2010, financial results released on Tuesday showed.
VaR is an industry measure for how much of a bank's money is at risk on a day for trading a particular asset class.
Profit at Goldman dropped 72 percent in the first quarter as it made less money from trading bonds for clients.
But net revenues from commodities traded on behalf of clients were "solid and ... higher compared with the same prior year period", the bank said in a statement.
Goldman's commodities VaR for the first quarter was also markedly higher than that assumed by key rival and No. 2 U.S. bank JPMorgan Chase
JPMorgan, which declared "strong performance" from commodities during the quarter, averaged $13 million per million per day in VaR for the asset class compared with $14 million in the fourth quarter of 2010.
Commodities VaR at Goldman Sachs versus other leading U.S. banks since the start of 2009 (in $ millions):
(Reporting by Barani Krishnan; Editing by John Picinich)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28