Goldman Sachs commodities risk up 60 percent in Q1
April 20, 2011 6:28 AM EST
Goldman Sachs Inc, the largest U.S. investment bank, raised its commodities trading risk by 60 percent in the first quarter amid a rally in oil, metals and grains markets.
Goldman's value-at risk (VaR) for commodities averaged $37 million in the three months to March 31, versus $23 million in the previous quarter.
But it was lower compared to the $49 million in the first quarter of 2010, financial results released on Tuesday showed.
VaR is an industry measure for how much of a bank's money is at risk on a day for trading a particular asset class.
Profit at Goldman dropped 72 percent in the first quarter as it made less money from trading bonds for clients.
But net revenues from commodities traded on behalf of clients were "solid and ... higher compared with the same prior year period", the bank said in a statement.
Goldman's commodities VaR for the first quarter was also markedly higher than that assumed by key rival and No. 2 U.S. bank JPMorgan Chase
JPMorgan, which declared "strong performance" from commodities during the quarter, averaged $13 million per million per day in VaR for the asset class compared with $14 million in the fourth quarter of 2010.
Commodities VaR at Goldman Sachs versus other leading U.S. banks since the start of 2009 (in $ millions):
(Reporting by Barani Krishnan; Editing by John Picinich)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft