Observing Head and Shoulders in the RSI
By Fan Yang | April 20, 2011 1:12 AM EST
Analysts and traders often look for chart patterns in price action. Price action is real-time representation of market action therefore provides primary clues. All technical indicators are derived from price data (open, close, high, low, range of hi-lo etc.) Therefore, by construction, all technical indicators are lagging. But that doesn't mean all the signals provided by technical indicators are lagging.
The RSI is an oscillator that reflects the momentum of the market. Readings above 70 represent overbought conditions, while readings below 30 represent oversold conditions. There are many interpretations of the RSI reading, and one of them is chart patterns. We know that head and shoulder in price action suggests a reversal. What about those found in the RSI near the overbought level, or inverted ones found near oversold readings?
Here are some completed Head and Shoulders in the RSI...
NZD/USD Weekly Chart. The H&S did not follow through.
Here we have a head and shoulder with the shoulders much lower than the previous two. Nonetheless it did break the neckline. However, a pullback in the RSI broke back into the pattern, and even pushed above the previous "shoulder" level. Price action continued a bullish trend.
Here are some still in development...
There is a bearish divergence. The second high of the RSI is also a head and shoulder, and already showing signs of completion, with a minor pullback that appears to be signaling that silver might see some topping here.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand