Observing Head and Shoulders in the RSI
By Fan Yang | April 20, 2011 1:12 AM EST
Analysts and traders often look for chart patterns in price action. Price action is real-time representation of market action therefore provides primary clues. All technical indicators are derived from price data (open, close, high, low, range of hi-lo etc.) Therefore, by construction, all technical indicators are lagging. But that doesn't mean all the signals provided by technical indicators are lagging.
The RSI is an oscillator that reflects the momentum of the market. Readings above 70 represent overbought conditions, while readings below 30 represent oversold conditions. There are many interpretations of the RSI reading, and one of them is chart patterns. We know that head and shoulder in price action suggests a reversal. What about those found in the RSI near the overbought level, or inverted ones found near oversold readings?
Here are some completed Head and Shoulders in the RSI...
NZD/USD Weekly Chart. The H&S did not follow through.
Here we have a head and shoulder with the shoulders much lower than the previous two. Nonetheless it did break the neckline. However, a pullback in the RSI broke back into the pattern, and even pushed above the previous "shoulder" level. Price action continued a bullish trend.
Here are some still in development...
There is a bearish divergence. The second high of the RSI is also a head and shoulder, and already showing signs of completion, with a minor pullback that appears to be signaling that silver might see some topping here.
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More