First Lady Michelle Obama requests Jessica Simpson to serenade military families
By Floyd Allen | April 11, 2011 1:53 PM EST
Singer Jessica Simpson has accepted the invitation by First Lady Michelle Obama and agreed to sing for the military families.
The 30-year-old singer is scheduled to perform on April 13 at Coors Field in Denver, Colorado.
Simpson, described by Us Magazine as a longtime supporter of the U.S. troops said she is ‘thrilled for the opportunity”.
"[The First Lady] asked me to sing for the troops. That's a huge honor for me," Simpson was quoted as telling Us Magazine.
She added, "Just to be there and show my support and say thank you."
Her performance said the magazine taking place during the Rockies vs. Mets baseball game at 7:50 p.m. (EST) - - an initiative spearheaded by the First Lady together with Dr. Jill Biden in honoring the men in uniform.
Obama and Biden will be traveling to Camp Lejeune, N.C.; San Antonio, Texas, Denver and Columbus, Ohio for the national two-day tour.
Citing a statement from the First Lady’s camp, Us Magazine noted that the tour hopes to "highlight the work of Americans who have answered the call to serve our military families to showcase ways all Americans can serve them, from teachers and business leaders, to neighbors and volunteers".
This is not the first time for Simpson to take part in any advocacy expressing support for the U.S. troops. She was last seen in October last year aboard USS Harry S. Truman visiting the troops in Persian Gulf.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Voice’ Season 7 (2014) Finals/ Finale Results: Find Out Who Could Be The Winner—Predictions Based on iTunes Chart Rankings
- ‘The Voice’ Season 7 Winner Revealed: Celebs And Eliminated Contestants React Plus Who Will Mentor In Season 8
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 10 Update: Air Date, Hints, Oliver Queen's Return Theories [Spoilers, Review]
- 'The Flash' Season 1, Episode 10 Spoilers: Dr Wells Connection To Reverse Flash, Firestorm Focus, and 'Prison Break' Actors As Villains In Next New Episode
- ‘The Voice’ Season 7 (2014) Finals/ Finale Results Recap: And The Winner Is… (Spoilers)