Warren Beatty prevails in Dick Tracy lawsuit
March 29, 2011 11:51 PM EST
A California judge has ruled in favor of actor Warren Beatty in a legal dispute with Tribune Media Services over the right to make movies and TV shows using the comic book crime fighter Dick Tracy.
U.S. District Court Judge Dean D. Pregerson granted Beatty's request for a summary judgment on Thursday in the long-running dispute over the character Beatty portrayed in his 1990 film, "Dick Tracy," which earned more than $160 million at global box offices.
Beatty had sued Tribune Media, a unit of Tribune Co., back in 2008, claiming Tribune acted wrongly in trying to retrieve the character's rights, which it had assigned to Beatty.
Under the original 1985 agreement between Beatty and Tribune, the rights would revert to Tribune if "a certain period of time" lapsed without Beatty having produced another Dick Tracy movie, TV series or TV special.
Tribune sent Beatty a letter on November 17, 2006, that gave him two years to begin production on Dick Tracy programing. Beatty said he began a Dick Tracy TV special on November 8, 2008, and gave Tribune written notice.
But Tribune responded by asserting that it still had the right to terminate Beatty's rights, which sparked Beatty's lawsuit. Tribune later filed its own countersuit seeking summary judgment in his favor.
In his written order, Judge Pregerson writes that "Beatty's commencement of principal photography of his television special on November 8, 2008 was sufficient for him to retain the Dick Tracy rights."
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date