Dubai World to offer full debt repayment: report
By Raissa Kasolowsky and Rania Oteify | March 18, 2010 1:32 AM EST
Officials from Dubai and neighboring emirate Abu Dhabi have been working with restructuring experts to devise a viable debt restructuring plan acceptable to some 97 creditors to Dubai World, the state-controlled holding company.
Dubai World will propose to repay the debt over seven years, the Dubai-based broadcaster said on its website.
Implementing the proposal would cause banks to book losses this year due to the differences between the proposed rate and the rates in the original contracts, the report said.
Any interest losses should be declared in banks' financial statements this year, the broadcaster cited "informed banking sources" as saying.
Saudi-owned Al Arabiya also cited the sources as saying a problem had developed in the accounting process that could force Dubai World to review some minor technical, but "not fundamental," aspects of repayment.
Dubai shocked the market in November when it said it would ask creditors to delay repayment on $26 billion in debt linked to Dubai World.
A last-minute $10 billion bailout from wealthier Abu Dhabi helped Dubai avert an embarrassing default on an Islamic bond linked to developer Nakheel, builder of the artificial palm-shaped islands off Dubai.
The firm, which ringfenced key assets like ports operator DP World from the restructuring, has been in talks with a seven-member committee which represents the 97 creditors.
A seventh lender, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi, a unit of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, joined the panel this year.
(Reporting by Raissa Kasolowsky and Rania Oteify; writing by Thomas Atkins; editing by Karen Foster)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff