Dubai World to offer full debt repayment: report
By Raissa Kasolowsky and Rania Oteify | March 18, 2010 1:32 AM EST
Officials from Dubai and neighboring emirate Abu Dhabi have been working with restructuring experts to devise a viable debt restructuring plan acceptable to some 97 creditors to Dubai World, the state-controlled holding company.
Dubai World will propose to repay the debt over seven years, the Dubai-based broadcaster said on its website.
Implementing the proposal would cause banks to book losses this year due to the differences between the proposed rate and the rates in the original contracts, the report said.
Any interest losses should be declared in banks' financial statements this year, the broadcaster cited "informed banking sources" as saying.
Saudi-owned Al Arabiya also cited the sources as saying a problem had developed in the accounting process that could force Dubai World to review some minor technical, but "not fundamental," aspects of repayment.
Dubai shocked the market in November when it said it would ask creditors to delay repayment on $26 billion in debt linked to Dubai World.
A last-minute $10 billion bailout from wealthier Abu Dhabi helped Dubai avert an embarrassing default on an Islamic bond linked to developer Nakheel, builder of the artificial palm-shaped islands off Dubai.
The firm, which ringfenced key assets like ports operator DP World from the restructuring, has been in talks with a seven-member committee which represents the 97 creditors.
A seventh lender, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi, a unit of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, joined the panel this year.
(Reporting by Raissa Kasolowsky and Rania Oteify; writing by Thomas Atkins; editing by Karen Foster)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions