Google overtakes Apple in the US smartphone platform market
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 8, 2011 10:42 PM EST
Share of Google’s Android in the US smartphone platform market increased to 28.7 percent in the last quarter of 2010, overtaking the share held by Apple, said a report by comScore on Monday.
However, BlackBerry’s RIM remained at the top position with a share of 31.6 percent, despite losing a share of 5.7 percent in the fourth quarter of last year,
While Apple’s share increased to 0.7 percent to 25 percent in the Oct-Dec 2010, Microsoft saw its share declining to 8.4 percent compared with 9.9 percent in the previous quarter. Palm’s share also decreased to 3.7 percent from 4.2 percent.
Overall, smartphone ownership in the US increased to 63.2 million in the quarter, up 60 percent compared with same period a year earlier.
Separately, a report from IDC showed that worldwide shipments of smartphones rose 74.4 percent to 302.6 million in 2010.
IDC data showed that share of market leader Nokia falling to 33.1 percent last year compared with 39 percent in 2009, while BlackBerry maker RIM's share decreased from 20 percent to 16 percent.
On the other hand, Apple saw it share rising to 15.7 percent in 2010 from 14.5 percent in 2009.
Shipments of Samsung and HTC which run on Android increased sharply last year accounting for 18.1 percent of worldwide smartphone market.
"Android continues to gain by leaps and bounds, helping to drive the smartphone market," said Ramon Llamas, senior research analyst with IDC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft