Google overtakes Apple in the US smartphone platform market
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 8, 2011 10:42 PM EST
Share of Google’s Android in the US smartphone platform market increased to 28.7 percent in the last quarter of 2010, overtaking the share held by Apple, said a report by comScore on Monday.
However, BlackBerry’s RIM remained at the top position with a share of 31.6 percent, despite losing a share of 5.7 percent in the fourth quarter of last year,
While Apple’s share increased to 0.7 percent to 25 percent in the Oct-Dec 2010, Microsoft saw its share declining to 8.4 percent compared with 9.9 percent in the previous quarter. Palm’s share also decreased to 3.7 percent from 4.2 percent.
Overall, smartphone ownership in the US increased to 63.2 million in the quarter, up 60 percent compared with same period a year earlier.
Separately, a report from IDC showed that worldwide shipments of smartphones rose 74.4 percent to 302.6 million in 2010.
IDC data showed that share of market leader Nokia falling to 33.1 percent last year compared with 39 percent in 2009, while BlackBerry maker RIM's share decreased from 20 percent to 16 percent.
On the other hand, Apple saw it share rising to 15.7 percent in 2010 from 14.5 percent in 2009.
Shipments of Samsung and HTC which run on Android increased sharply last year accounting for 18.1 percent of worldwide smartphone market.
"Android continues to gain by leaps and bounds, helping to drive the smartphone market," said Ramon Llamas, senior research analyst with IDC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon