Charges of aggravated arson have been slapped against a U.S. woman for setting her house on fire to get rid of an itsy bitsy, crawling spider.
Ginny M. Griffith, a 34-year-old woman from Hutchinson, Kansas, told police she used a cigarette lighter to alight a set towels to try to kill a spider.
Five Hutchinson Fire Department units responded to the 1:36 am call to extinguish a small fire in her half of a duplex at 121 W. Seventh Ave, the Hutchinson News report.
Doug Hanen, deputy fire chief, said in a statement that firefighters found light smoke coming from the woman's half of the duplex. Some clothing that were already smoldering were likewise found just inside the doorway.
Hanen said multiple other points of origin for the fire were also found. It was brought under control within minutes.
Griffith for sure lit the towels hoping to burn the little insect. It's not clear however if she indeed was able to kill the crawler.
Hanen explained the aggravated arson charges slapped against Griffith were because the other half of the duplex, when the blaze began, was occupied, albeit no one was injured, except perhaps the spider.
The building only suffered light smoke damage.
Griffith is currently held in the Reno County jail on a $7,500 bond.