Many Android users are curious if their devices are getting the latest Android 4.4. KitKat OS before end 2013 or within the year 2014. If you own an Android smartphone or tablet and want to know if you'll get one, check out the list and ways to determine that.
Some manufacturers have already confirmed the upcoming rollout of Android 4.4 KitKat software to their respective devices within 2013 and in 2014.
1. HTC One The One Family by HTC is expected to get it first within 90 days depending on which variant you own. Owners of Google Play Edition will get the new firmware within 15 days followed by 30 days for the Developer Edition and lastly 90 days for the original variant. There is no confirmation about HTC One Maxx and One Mini yet, but announcement of rollout plan will come out soon.
2. LG G2 and Optimus Line LG smartphone owners can expect Android 4.4 KitKat coming to their way soon and it includes LG G2 and the 2012 flagship smartphone Optimus G. Other devices which may receive upgrades are Optimus G Pro, G Flex and L series second generation - L7, L5, L3.
3. Motorola Phones The creator of Moto X phone already announced an upcoming Android 4.4 KitKat upgrade which also confirmed by the Motorola's software update Web site. Owners of Motorola smartphones can also check their models for any available software ready for download. Other phones by Motorola such as Droid Ultra, Droid MAXX and Droid Mini are expected to get the update as well.
4. Samsung Galaxy No doubt that Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3 are getting Android 4.4 KitKat which may be released as early as December 2013 but may reach up to early 2014 depending on the release date of Galaxy S5. Owners of Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy Tabs are still unconfirmed to get 4.4 but some of these devices are approved to receive Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Larger Galaxy Notes are also eligible to get the next-gen Android OS.
5. Sony Xperia Xperia Z line including Xperia Z1 will an official Android 4.4 KitKat but the company will first push an Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update. Xperia SP has been noted as part of Xperia Z line due to its hybrid nature which will get an Android 4.3 as well that may also point to a future Android 4.4 update in 2014.
How to Know if Your Device is Eligible?
There are some ways to know if your smartphone or tablet is eligible for an Android 4.4 KitKat official firmware or custom made. You may need to check your device first then inquire for anything else needed.
1. Hardware Components Android 4.4 KitKat may have been optimised to fully run among Android-powered devices with 512 MB of RAM and also means that if your device falls below it, you can only a fraction of the new OS or simply buy a new mid-range device. Go 'Settings > Application > Running' to see the RAM size which should be at least 400 MB in total.
2. Network Carriers
You may need to inquire your network carrier for any possible updates but do not expect them to give every model an upgrade since their firmware are really coming from manufacturers. Network carriers modify firmware updates before getting pushed out which you should check constantly.
3. Manufacturer Updates Don't forget to check updates inside your phone constantly using a Wi-Fi connection or do that via computer using their PC suites. Go to 'Settings > About device > Software updates' to get new update or via computer launching PC suites such as Kies for Samsung devices or PC Companion for Sony Xperia.
4. Timeline and Duration Some manufacturers may not develop Android 4.4 KitKat for models which were released in 2012 especially if the models are classified as low-range or mid-level. Flagship models are the prioritised by companies due to marketing and selling point.
5. Custom ROM Developers The most common source of Android OS upgrades are custom ROM developers and you may be lucky to get one from them. Check CyanogenMod, Slim ROM, Omega ROM, Paranoid Android and others for any custom ROM upgrades. If your phone model received a higher OS version compared to its manufacturer, there is a good chance that Android 4.4 KitKat will be available for you.