After the gruesome leg injury was streamed all over social media and televisions worldwide, many were ready to proclaim the career of the Spider, Anderson Silva all but finished. He may be the only one who is persevering to prove the detractors otherwise.
Silva is scheduled to return to the Octagon to face another come backing star in Nick Diaz on January 31, 2015 in a pay per view event that will be held in Las Vegas.
The middleweight bout was made official with the announcement of Dana White per ESPN. Ed Soares, manager of Silva also made the deal complete with the confirmation that he just met with White to iron out the details of the fight.
"As soon as we got out of the meeting, Anderson was like a little kid because he was so excited to be back," Soares said. "He's worked very hard to get to this point [where he's capable of returning]."
Nick Diaz is the returning black sheep of the sport who raring to repair his reputation by signing to a new deal last week for a minimum of three fights. During the press conference of the said signing he expressed his desire to be pitted against Silva. Dana White doused the rumours with cold water saying that Silva is still undergoing rehabilitation and may not be available up until February of next year. That is not the case now as a deal came quickly.
Skeptics are wary of the recovery ability of Silva after suffering a broken leg 1:16 into the second round against reigning middleweight champion Chris Weidman. The impact of Silva's kick into Weidman's leg caused his tibia and fibula to be fractured. The medical team of Silva estimated a nine months recovery timeframe for the former undefeated champion but he progressed quickly and will be ready to train soon.
The 39 year old fighter is trying to be back to the Anderson of old and make believers of us all, Soares proclaims.